So where does it affect you?
Amenity covers such a range of areas including:
- Parks – Children play areas and boating lakes are kept clear from excessive weeds so that you can enjoy this area safely.
- Streets and Pavements – Keeping weeds under control, so that they do not damage the pavements by pushing up through the tarmac; which could cause you to fall over and not allow push chairs to be safe
- Roads – controlling weeds along grass verges so that motorists have a clear vision of the road as well as stopping weeds pushing up through the tarmac.
- Railways – Through innovative technology; professionals can stop the weeds from growing over the tracks allowing trains to keep moving.
- Golf Courses – Keeping the greens in tip top condition, so you can putt on a smooth, weed free surface
- Sports Pitches (Football & Rugby) – Keeping the pitches rut free, keeping the players safe and allowing play to keep going throughout the season.
An integrated approach is taken to controlling weeds and diseases – which simply means all techniques of control are used including herbicides. Natural controls are also used where possible. The UK Amenity sector has led the way in committing itself to best practice and developing an Amenity Assured Standard.
To demonstrate how amenity affects your life, the Colins family take a trip to London to watch a football match, and realise how Amenity really affects us all. Watch the video, and read about it on our Edugraphic below.